Tuesday, January 29, 2013

How to Prettify Plain, Cardboard Magazine Holders


I'm cheap. (Really, Mum, even though I know you don't believe it!) So when I needed magazine holders, I went to Ikea and bought the 5-pack of cheap, flat (to assemble), white, cardboard file holders. Sorry I can't remember how much they cost, but 5 were way cheaper than 1 of the expensive, brand-name ones at an office supply store. 

But plain, white cardboard is so boring. So, I took some contact paper, cut it a few inches wider than the  width of the holder, and voila: a prettified magazine holder! Then I printed labels for the contents onto my pretty Martha Stewart labels so I can tell at a glance what's in each holder.

Above, you can see what several of them look like next to each other on my bookshelf. Below you can see how I wrapped the contact paper around the edges of the back so as to prevent it from peeling off.

I saved money and completed a DIY project. What could be better?



1 comment:

  1. Love the idea! Now just need to figure out how to get the children to put the magazines BACK IN the holders!!

    ReplyDelete